To use our apps and configurations, please sign up for an ExpressVPN account first.
If you cannot use the ExpressVPN application on Windows Vista/7/8, you can manually setup an ExpressVPN connection on your computer.
- Let’s start by getting some details about your ExpressVPN account. Open the Welcome Email you received when you signed up for ExpressVPN. Click the link in the email.
If you can’t find the link, log in to our website.
Once you’ve clicked the link in the welcome email or logged in to the website, click on Set Up ExpressVPN on the Active Subscriptions page.
- Click on the the section called Manual Configuration (PPTP and L2TP-IPSec). You will find:
- the IPSec pre-shared key
- your username
- your password
- a list of server addresses around the world
Keep this browser window open. You will need this information later on in the setup.
- Click the Download Windows Dialers button at the bottom of the “Manual Configuration” section. This will download a ZIP file called expressvpn_dialers.zip
Keep this browser window open. You will need this information for the setup.
- Right-click on the zip file which should be found in your downloads folder by default then click on Extract All.
- Click Extract on the subsequent pop-up window. This will not work if you are just viewing the contents of the ZIP file. The ZIP file needs to be extracted.
- Double-click or right-click on the unzipped ExpressVPN Dialers folder and click Open.
- Double-click or right-click on ExpressVPN Windows L2TP and click Open.
- Click on Properties.
- Leave the server address as is or copy and paste one of the server addresses from Step 2 if there is a particular location you want to connect to.
- Click on the Security tab on top.
- Make sure the Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-Chap v2) is checked.
- Click on Advanced Settings.
- Click on Use preshared key for authentication and type in 12345678 into the Key box.
- Click on OK.
- Click on OK.
- Select a server location and click Connect.
- Input the username and password found in the Manual Configuration (PPTP and L2TP-IPSec) section (refer back to Step 2) and click Connect:
- Congratulations! You can now begin surfing with freedom and security! To check if you are connected to our server, hover your mouse cursor over your active network connection indicator at the bottom right corner of your computer screen.
To disconnect from the VPN, double-click the dialer file again, and then click Hang Up:
Note: These steps can also be used to connect using the PPTP or SSTP protocols. Just select the corresponding dialer file. We recommend trying L2TP first, then SSTP, and PPTP only as a last resort. PPTP offers only minimal security.
NOTE: If you have trouble opening the pbk file, please use this tutorial to fix the issue.